Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Be A Barnabas

In the New Testament there is found an incredible and important man whose name means “son of encouragement,” or Barnabas. He was a Levite from Cyprus and in the New Testament he is constantly seen encouraging someone.

Initially Barnabas is seen in Acts chapter 4 selling a tract of land and giving it to the church in Jerusalem, who was living together communally in that first generation of the church.

Next, Barnabas appears on the scene after Saul, the zealous Pharisee of Pharisees who had been persecuting the church, converts to Christianity yet no one in the church would trust or associate with him. Barnabas takes Saul to the apostles at Jerusalem, introduces him, and tells them about Saul’s conversion to Christianity and how that Saul in Damascus had preached boldly in the name of Jesus. Saul is accepted by the apostles and soon he is called, “the apostle Paul.”

In Acts chapter 13, the Holy Spirit speaks to the church in Jerusalem and tells them to set apart Barnabas and the apostle Paul for the work of missions in planting churches. As Paul’s greatest helper during that first missionary journey, Barnabas was an encourager.

In Acts chapter 15 as Paul and Barnabas were getting ready to begin their second missionary journey, everything got off on the wrong foot. Paul suggested they go and visit all of the churches that they previously had planted, and Barnabas wanted to take John Mark along with them. However, because John Mark had abandoned them during the first missionary journey, Paul refused to allow John Mark to come along. A sharp disagreement between Paul and Barnabas resulted, and Barnabas left with John Mark to go to Cyprus and minister. Now, there has been much disagreement among Bible commentators about whether Barnabas or Paul was wrong in this instance. But, because Barnabas as an encourager and did not want to give up on John Mark, we read later in Paul’s letter to pastor Timothy, 2 Timothy 4:11, a reference to John Mark: “Pick up Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for service.” Barnabas’ encouragement to John Mark had proven to change John Mark’s life, and this occurred because that is what encouragement does, it changes lives.

I cannot emphasize too much how important it is that we as Christians encourage others in their faith, the use of their spiritual gifts, and to step out in faith to attempt great things for God such as winning the lost for Christ and making disciples of others. In 1 Thessalonians 5:14, we are commanded to encourage others: “We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.”

The need for encouragement goes well beyond the church and Christian realm. I wonder how many people in this world would have attempted great feats that would have benefitted all mankind if there had been someone there in their life at one point to encourage them. There are multitudes of coaches of athletes who know how to teach the athlete the mechanics and basics of their sport. Likewise, there are many coaches who know how to tear and break down an athlete so he/she will be able to see their weakness and areas that need work. But, it is a rare coach who can do those things and also encourage and build up the athletes they coach. Thus, it is a rare coach who has such balance in his/her coaching style as to truly bring out the best in his/her athletes. If a coach is wise he realizes that he must not only point out what an athlete needs to do to improve, but also the things that the athlete does well, and the athlete’s achievements. For every criticism a coach gives, I believe that there needs to be at a bare minimum one “at a boy” that is given.

I am a pastor and was raised by non-Christian parents who tried hard but had many flaws in their parenting. But, the greatest gift that they gave me was in believing in me. Because they believed in me and were convinced that I could do whatever it was that I ever attempted, I was encouraged to attempt great tasks and achievements in life. To this day I believe that my mother thinks that I am just a few steps away from being a brain surgeon, and able to achieve anything I set my mind upon. I believe that what you tell your children or those you coach or supervise that you believe about them usually becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy in their life, whether good or bad. That itself shows how powerful and essential it is to encourage others.

As a parent I don’t mean to brag here, but in order to give real example to what I’m saying, I remember encouraging my son that he was good enough to sign up and play high school baseball when he doubted himself. I remember encouraging him to be a baseball walk on at one of the best NCAA DIII schools in the country. After he had been red-shirted a season by that team and then cut at the beginning of his second year, I remember encouraging him to transfer to another school in the conference because I knew he could play baseball at that level. I have encouraged him through hitting slumps, elbow injuries, and a slew of other things. Today, he is still playing for the second school and doing well. Don’t we all sometimes need encouragement in our endeavors in life? I know I sure do. Let me ask you this question, “Can you imagine what impact your life might have if you started each day committing yourself to be a Barnabas, and encourage at least one person during your day?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home